Skip to content

External Grants & Scholarships

The OEAA encourages students to explore funding from a wide variety of sources when planning their study abroad experience.  In addition to the grants and scholarships available through Davidson, there are many other opportunities offered through partner organizations, governmental organizations, nonprofits, and more.  Students should also plan to conduct their own research for external funding opportunities.  

External (non-Davidson) Funding Sources

Name Description Eligibility
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, providing them with skills critical to our national security and economic prosperity. To be eligible for the Gilman Program, applicants must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant during the time of application or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of their study abroad program or internship. U.S. citizen or national
Pell Grant recipients only
Gilman-McCain Scholarship The John S. McCain International Scholarship for Military Families (Gilman-McCain Scholarship) provides awards of $5,000 for child and spousal dependents of active or activated United States military personnel during the time of application (including Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard, Army, Army National Guard, Army Reserve, Coast Guard, Coast Guard Reserve, Marine Corps, Marine Corps Reserve, Navy, Navy Reserve, Space Force, NOAA Commissioned Corps, and USPHS Commissioned Corps) to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs.  Must be recipient of any type of Title IV federal financial aid funding
Boren Scholarship The Boren Scholarship funds the intensive study of language and culture abroad by U.S. undergraduate students.  Boren Scholars should seek study abroad programs that have a serious language component. Language study should comprise the majority of overseas coursework. The Boren Awards give preference to programs based on their duration, focus on intensive study of a preferred language in a preferred country, and the applicant’s field of study.

Students interested in the Boren Scholarship should contact the OEAA Director and Boren Campus Representative, Naomi Otterness.
U.S. citizens

Planning an overseas program in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand

Planning to study in a country of which they are not a citizen
Freeman-ASIA Scholarship Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.  Provides need-based funding to assist the recipient with the cost of the study abroad program and related expenses, including airfare, basic living costs, local transportation, books, etc. U.S. citizen or permanent resident

Must currently receive need-based aid

2.8 GPA requirement
Fund for Education Abroad The mission of the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study abroad population. FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting students of color, community college, and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs. U.S. citizen or permanent resident

Must be receiving academic credit for the study abroad program
John Philip Couch Scholarship The John Philip Couch Scholarship was created through a generous gift to the North Carolina chapter of the American Association of Teachers of French (NC-AATF) in the will of Dr. “Phil” Couch, a longtime professor of French at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro who passed away on March 12, 2006.

Candidates for a John Philip Couch Scholarship must be nominated by their major department in their home institution. Normally, only one undergraduate student may be nominated per institution.  
Preference for academic year programs and NC residents

French majors who have completed at least two French courses beyond intermediate level

2.75 GPA
Partner Funding Opportunities Many partner organizations offer their own scholarships and financial aid, both need- and merit-based.  Review the links for more information about requirements and application processes. Varies; review partner websites for details
Huayu Enrichment Scholarship The Ministry of Education (MOE) established the MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (MOE HES) to enhance exchanges between the Republic of China (Taiwan) and countries designated by the MOE by encouraging foreign students to study Mandarin in Taiwan and to deepen their understanding of Taiwan's cultural and social developments. Not open to Taiwanese nationals or students who have previously received financial assistance from other Taiwanese scholarship programs
United States - Japan Bridging Scholarships The United States-Japan Bridging Foundation funds scholarships administered through the American Association of Teachers of Japanese (AATJ) to help students study abroad in Japan for a semester or an academic year. Since 1999, more than 2,000 students have received Bridging Scholarships to study abroad in Japan.  Japanese language study is not a prerequisite. U.S. citizen

Study abroad program must last at least 3 months and be credit-bearing
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) DAAD offers a variety of scholarships for undergraduates to study and research in Germany. Varies
Diverse Women of Color Study Abroad Scholarship The Diverse International Women Of Color Study Abroad Scholarship is intended to assist women of color who are exceptional in their studies and in need of financial assistance to study abroad.  DIWC will award $500 scholarships to women of color who have been accepted to a In-Person Study Abroad Program. 2.7 GPA or higher
IIE Scholarship Finder The Institute for International Education (IIE) administers a large database of scholarships and funding opportunities for international study. Varies